Tumbulgum

A small, peaceful village situated on the bank of the Tweed River, was one of the first settlements in the valley. It's name is an aboriginal word meaning 'meeting of the waters' as the Rous River joins the Tweed River here. It has been a busy commercial and maritime centre from the middle of the last century. The first "grog shanty" (unlicensed hotel) started trading here in 1887.

Tumbulgum was originally a cedar loggers settlement and many of the early buildings were constructed of red cedar and have been gazetted by the National Trust. These days, activity at Tumbulgum centres on the river. Hire boats are available for exploring the beautiful Rous River, one of the little known treasures of the Tweed, and bait and tackle can be had by those who fancy a lazy day's fishing. This stretch of the river is also excellent for skiing. Fuel and marine facilities are also available.

The village has a General Store and newsagency. The area's popular watering hole is the historic Tumbulgum Hotel where the food is excellent. The village also features an historic bakery and residence housing antiques and giftware. A tea room occupies part of the old home and there are also tables and chairs outdoors. The pioneers' cemetery near the village has recently been restored and is well worth a visit.